Estudantes Estrangeiros

Information for Students Applying for an Exchange Semester or Year at the School of Economics, Business and Accountancy of the University of Sao Paulo (FEA-USP)

All exchange students must be nominated first by our partner universities before we start the application process.

Nominations should be sent by email to including students’ name and email address, gender and period of studies (1 semester or 2). Moreover, if it’s a Master applicant, we would like to know if he/she will be a Master 1 or Master 2 student by the time the exchange begins.


Deadline for Nominations:

April 15 for the Second Semester (July-December)

November 1 for the First Semester (February-July)

Once we have students’ contact information, an e-mail will be sent directly to them containing information on application procedures, accommodation, health insurance among other issues related to the exchange program.

Application procedures for all students

Nominated students will receive a link for the online application where they should fill basic personal informartion and upload the following documents before the deadline:

  • a Passport main page;
  • latest Transcript of Grades;
  • a Passport-type Photo, jpg format, to be used in official USP card.

For Post-Graduate applicants only (Master of Research or Ph.D./Doctorate): all the above mentioned documents and also the following (to be sent by email as well):

  • Transcripts and Diploma of Bachelor degree
  • curriculum vitae

Very Important: FEA-USP Bachelor programs last 4 years. To take Post-Graduate courses a student must be enrolled at least in the second year of a Master program in his/her home institution (normally MSc 2), or attending a research-based Post-Graduate program (Master  of Research or Ph.D./Doctorate program). Post-Graduate programs at FEA-USP are research-based, demanding a lot of reading and writing exercises, and class debates as well, for a good knowledge of the Portuguese language is required. At FEA-USP, Doctoral students and Master of Research students share the same courses.


Deadline for sending the application files:

May 1 for the Second Semester (July-December)

November 15 for the First Semester (February-July)



A Housing List will be sent to all students around a month before classes beginning.



Unless you hold a Brazilian passport, a temporary visa for studies is absolutely MANDATORY. A tourist visa will not be considered under any circumstance, and it's impossible to change the visa status after arrival. Students who come without the correct visa will not be allowed to register for courses.

Acceptance Letters – necessary for visa application – will be mailed to the international office of your school /university in May and June.



Complete information about courses available and enrollment procedures will be sent to the students in the beginning of the semester. Note in advance that 1st year courses and most 2nd year courses are not available for exchange students.

Since the number of English taught courses is still limited, we kindly ask students to develop their Portuguese skills before arrival.

A Portuguese Foreign Language course is offered by USP Language Center during the academic semester only, not before. 


RNE (National Register of Foreigners)

Register is required by the Federal Police from all foreigners who have a permanent residence permit or a temporary visa. You have only 30 days from the date of your arrival to register. Do not wait until the last minute because there might be unexpected problems that can stop you from registering, and the deadline will not be extended because of that. In case you do not register during the first 30 days, you will be charged for every day of delay. We suggest you do it during the first days, so that you will have enough time even if you have problems.

Before visiting the Federal Police office follow the instructions below:

First of all you need to properly fill out a form on the page > Estrangeiro > Requerer Registro / Renovação e Anistia > 1 and set an appointment on item 2.

After that print out the final form and the appointment confirmation, preferably in white sheets, and provide the following documents:

The original form “Pedido de Visto” (visa order) expedited by a Brazilian Consulate or Embassy in your home country. Remember to get it back when you pick up the visa and to bring it with you.


  • Original Passport with the entrance stamp
  •  “Cartão de Entrada” (entry card) – a slip of form that you received in the airplane.
  • Photocopies of all used pages of your Passport (considering the ID page and all eventual stamps and notes) properly registered in a Brazilian public notary – named Cartório Civil – as well as a registered photocopy of Cartão de Entrada. This service is named, in Portuguese, “cópia autenticada”.
  • 2 full-face color photos (facing the camera directly with your eyes looking straight at the camera) size 3 cm tall x 4 cm wide, with white background, not smiling, without glasses.
  • Pay two fees GRU-FUNAPOL and take the receipt to the Federal Police (or only the first one if you are a National from Portugal, Angola, Guinea-Bissau, Equatorial Guinea, Mozambique, São Tomé and Príncipe, Cape Verde, or East Timor).


-  Again, access the Federal Police website at and on the menu on left click on Serviços > GRU > GRU-FUNAPOL > Estrangeiros/Imigração > Pessoas e Entidades Estrangeiras

- A form will open. You have to fill it in twice, one for each fee. You can fill in only the mandatory fields which are marked with a * in red.

- In the first time, fill it in, correctly and precisely, and:

- In the field “Unidade Arrecadadora”, select “SP (027-2) SUPERINTENDÊNCIA REGIONAL NO ESTADO DE SÃO PAULO”

- In the field “Código da Receita”, select 140120 – Carteira de Estrangeiro de 1ª via”

- Click on “Gerar Guia” and print it.

- In the second time, fill it in, correctly and precisely, and:

- In the field “Unidade Arrecadadora”, select “SP (027-2) SUPERINTENDÊNCIA REGIONAL NO ESTADO DE SÃO PAULO”

- In the field “Código da Receita”, select “140082 – Registro de Estrangeiros”

- Click on “Gerar Guia” and print it.

- Go to a bank and pay for both of them


Having provided all the documents go to the Federal Police office (address below) according to the time and date of your appointment.

 Useful addresses:  


 - Public Notary Address (Cartório de Registro Civil)

13º Cartório do Butantã

Rua Pirajussara, 432

Phone: (11) 38191188

Note this is the closest Cartório to USP campus. However, you can have the photocopies of your passport pages registered in any “Cartório de Registro Civil”. There are more than 40 of them in the city of São Paulo.


- Federal Police Address

Superintendência da Polícia Federal

Av. Hugo D’Antola, 95.

Lapa de Baixo – Ponte do Piqueri

Phone: (11) 36165000


About the RNE card

When you register at the Federal Police, you are applying for a RNE card. RNE means National Register of Foreigners. This card will be your ID card while here in Brazil. You shall not lose it, so keep it safe and in good conditions. You have to keep it with you forever, even when it expires. In case you decide to come back to Brazil to do anything else than tourism for three months, you will need a temporary visa and a new registration at the Federal Police and you will have to present your expired RNE card. If you fail to do it, you will have to pay an extra fee for the lost of the card.

The flip of paper you will receive with your photo after the registration is a proof that you’ve registered and also works as an ID until the RNE card be available (it may take around six months). We call it PROTOCOLO. You shall take very good care of it, not lose it and not tear it. Don’t stick plastic on it, although you may find a good idea to keep it in a plastic bag. You might be also subject to extra fees if you lose it. You will need it to retrieve your RNE card. If you don’t retrieve it before going home, you have to keep the PROTOCOLO forever. We recommend you to take a notarized copy of it and carry it with you, together with the notarized copies of your passport, leaving the originals at home. Even though it works as an ID, when you travel, you MUST take your original passport and the original PROTOCOLO with you.

Your RNE number is needed for many issues, like opening a bank account, or applying for the Student Bus Card, for example.